Saturday, May 8, 2010

Yo Ti Fy

Sat down to wander if I can have a new way to use internet. Instead of 'google'ing and 'bing'ing information I need, let someone deliver it to me based on my defined sets and preferences.
(I just wanted to negate my thought that most of us see search engines as the hub for our internet experiences, though its true uptill great extent.)

I started writting a small service for this task. Meanwhile I came across Yotify - a site which caters to specific task of tracking updates and information that pertains to our topic of interest such as an event, an item for sale on ebay, cragslist, an RSS feed, headlines etc etc.. (like a flavor of Google Alerts and Yahoo Alerts but broader in scope)

On Yotify.com, users track anything they deem worth tracking by sending out ’scouts’ that send back regular reports on a particular sports headline, job listing, real estate posting, etc. The frequency of updates can be set to a daily or hourly amount, and different preferences can be selected so that when users send a scout out to monitor an item on Craigslist, for example, they can find out when the price drops to the amount they’re willing to pay. Searches are also area-specific, and users can specify the state and area where they want relevant results from.

Transcript of a chat with Rob Bouganim, Yotify's CEO
http://arstechnica.com/old/content/2008/09/hands-on-and-invites-yotify-your-personal-web-secretary.ars

No comments: